Discuss Intellivision, Atari, Colecovision, Nintendo, and More!
Welcome to the IntellivisionRevolution Forums!
Discuss Intellivision, Atari, Colecovision, Nintendo, and More!

Have You Played Your Intellivision Today?

Log in

I forgot my password



Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  




Bookmark and share the address of Discuss Intellivision, Atari, Colecovision, Nintendo, and More! on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 


The Intellivision Forums
Who is online?
In total there are 17 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 189 on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 8:05 am

You are not connected. Please login or register

Discuss Intellivision, Atari, Colecovision, Nintendo, and More! » The Classic Gaming Section » The Classic Gaming Forum » Best DK ever, on good ol' NES

Best DK ever, on good ol' NES

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Tue 06 Nov 2012, 7:28 pm

sloan

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
I got Donkey Kong Pie Factory in the mail yesterday for NES. All I have to say is, "Wow!"

I now have as true to arcade a home version as I will see in my lifetime. Granted, I have D2K for Intellivision, and upcoming versions for 7800 and Colecovision look promising, but the graphics on this game are as close to arcade as it gets, short of a Nintendo arcade compilation, which I doubt we'll see anytime soon.

Gameplay is excellent, and the previously missing pie/cement factory level is well done without being overly difficult. I think I will be spending more time with my beloved NES.

2 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 10:38 am

TrekMD

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Cool. I looked up a video to see what it was like. I'm posting it here. I still think the 7800 version will beat this one given all the added animations that are missing even on this port for the NES.


________________________________________
Going to the final frontier...gaming!


https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

3 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 6:17 pm

sloan

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
I forgot about the 'How high can you get?' screens. If 7800 and CV versions have those, along with the ladder climbing intro screen, then I will have to take this claim back.

Biggest drawback to me, as far as 7800 and CV versions go, is having to spend for the expansion modules for each system before even buying the games themselves.

4 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 7:53 pm

TrekMD

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
I don't know about the CV version but the 7800 XM version does. Here is a video:



Note that this isn't the final version yet!


________________________________________
Going to the final frontier...gaming!


https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

5 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 6:11 am

onthinice

avatar
Star Fighter
Star Fighter
That is good news. Thanks for sharing sloan! I have heard about the new Colecovision expansion unit.

Great time to be a Donkey Kong fan no matter what system you play!

6 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 11:04 pm

sloan

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Reading this thread tonight makes me wonder.

It looks like Curt Vendel has taken people's money a year ago, promised completion of XM by April of this year, and also has not delivered other goods to other forum members who payed more than 6 months ago. His credibility and ability to keep to his promises is being called into question.

At this point, I just wish they would port DKXM and Bentley Bear to regular 7800 and release them soon in cartridge form.

7 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Fri 09 Nov 2012, 7:54 am

TrekMD

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
sloan wrote:Reading this thread
At this point, I just wish they would port DKXM and Bentley Bear to regular 7800 and release them soon in cartridge form.

To accomplish this it would require finding and sacrificing carts of rare games in carts that have both extra RAM and POKEY chips (Commando is an example) and it will make releasing DKXM and BB almost as expensive as the XM itself. Neither of these games fit into standard carts.


________________________________________
Going to the final frontier...gaming!


https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

8 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Fri 09 Nov 2012, 6:46 pm

sloan

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Why sacrifice rare carts when guys like CPUwiz and INTVnut are making new PCB's for VCS and intellivision? How hard would it be for someone to start producing new 7800 cartridge PCB's with Pokey chip and additional RAM? RAM is dirt cheap these days, after all.

9 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Sat 10 Nov 2012, 12:02 am

TrekMD

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
sloan wrote:Why sacrifice rare carts when guys like CPUwiz and INTVnut are making new PCB's for VCS and intellivision? How hard would it be for someone to start producing new 7800 cartridge PCB's with Pokey chip and additional RAM? RAM is dirt cheap these days, after all.

No one is making these carts for the 7800. I don't know the technical aspect of it. All I know is that they are not being made. Even if someone chooses to sacrifice Commando carts, they have to be modified to serve the purpose.


________________________________________
Going to the final frontier...gaming!


https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

10 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 6:26 pm

onthinice

avatar
Star Fighter
Star Fighter
I really hope the expansion can see daylight. The 7800 seems to have a lot of life left even without the expansion.

I look at the Intellivision and the games coming out are really amazing without any add-ons.

11 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 6:29 pm

onthinice

avatar
Star Fighter
Star Fighter
I should have added that the last sales report for modern consoles has me curious what is going to happen. I mean sales of consoles down 25%. Will enough people in the future show interest in these old consoles to justify making new carts?



Last edited by onthinice on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

12 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 6:30 pm

TrekMD

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
onthinice wrote:I really hope the expansion can see daylight. The 7800 seems to have a lot of life left even without the expansion.

I look at the Intellivision and the games coming out are really amazing without any add-ons.


It will. It always seems to be the same group of whiners over on AA when it comes to the XM. There is a site set up that has updates about what is happening. People just want to complain about it and forget this is a hobby being done by people during their spare time.


________________________________________
Going to the final frontier...gaming!


https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

13 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 6:31 pm

TrekMD

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
onthinice wrote:I should have added that the last sales report for modern consoles has me curious what is going to happen. I mean sales of consoles down 25%. Will enough people in the future show interest in these old consoles to justify making new carts.

It'll probably be the 80's all over again.


________________________________________
Going to the final frontier...gaming!


https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

14 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 10:05 pm

sloan

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
TrekMD wrote:
onthinice wrote:I really hope the expansion can see daylight. The 7800 seems to have a lot of life left even without the expansion.

I look at the Intellivision and the games coming out are really amazing without any add-ons.


It will. It always seems to be the same group of whiners over on AA when it comes to the XM. There is a site set up that has updates about what is happening. People just want to complain about it and forget this is a hobby being done by people during their spare time.

I don't know. Two said they ordered controllers from Vendel and never received them. Wow!

Also, most of these 'whiners' laid down cash 2-3 years ago, and Curt isn't communicating at all these days. Really, I am surprised there isn't a class action legal claim filed yet, if what these are saying is true.

15 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 10:24 pm

TrekMD

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
sloan wrote:
TrekMD wrote:
onthinice wrote:I really hope the expansion can see daylight. The 7800 seems to have a lot of life left even without the expansion.

I look at the Intellivision and the games coming out are really amazing without any add-ons.


It will. It always seems to be the same group of whiners over on AA when it comes to the XM. There is a site set up that has updates about what is happening. People just want to complain about it and forget this is a hobby being done by people during their spare time.

I don't know. Two said they ordered controllers from Vendel and never received them. Wow!

Also, most of these 'whiners' laid down cash 2-3 years ago, and Curt isn't communicating at all these days. Really, I am surprised there isn't a class action legal claim filed yet, if what these are saying is true.

When it is the same people repeating the same thing over and over again, they are whining and looking for attention. Other threads for the XM have had to get closed because even people who have no investment on the XM suddenly start attacking the project or the developers for it. Curt has set a web page where updates are posted. Could they be more frequent? Sure (though they are posted once or twice a month). People can go there and see where progress is but many of these people choose not to do that. Interesting that once Groovy posted something to address the skeptics, these people stopped posting on the thread. It's a cycle and I'm sure it will start again in a week or so.

Curt has already indicated that for those who don't want to wait any more, a refund can be given. So, people should either get the refund and shut up or wait and quit their whining. I'm sorry but it does get old and if there is an alternative that gets you out of it, just take it and move on.


________________________________________
Going to the final frontier...gaming!


https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

16 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm

sloan

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
I guess I just don't see it, especially when these have been waiting that long, and he did promise it for April of this year.

Also, I did notice that the naysayers stopped after Groovybee, but that is only because Al came along and 'liked' his posts. It is obvious and well known over at AA that you can get banned for disagreeing with Al and his cult. Just saying.

All Curt would have had to do was offer a single post in the midst of all that 'whining' to put people at ease, and he didn't even make the effort.

17 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 11:07 pm

TrekMD

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
sloan wrote:I guess I just don't see it, especially when these have been waiting that long, and he did promise it for April of this year.

Also, I did notice that the naysayers stopped after Groovybee, but that is only because Al came along and 'liked' his posts. It is obvious and well known over at AA that you can get banned for disagreeing with Al and his cult. Just saying.

All Curt would have had to do was offer a single post in the midst of all that 'whining' to put people at ease, and he didn't even make the effort.

The fact remains that there is an "out" for these people. They can get their money back.

Yes, we were all waiting for it to be released in April but there were complications that were well explained that led to the delay. Since then, additional people have been helping Curt to get it finished. It has been demoed at shows. New games that are planned for the XM have also been demoed.

I guess it is much easier to constantly complain than to send an email asking for a refund. These people just want to play "victim" rather than take a step that would put them entirely at ease.

BTW, about Curt not posting...we don't even know if he can right now. For all we know he has no power and/or no internet. He lives in one of the many areas affected by Sandy and, more recently, the snow storm.


________________________________________
Going to the final frontier...gaming!


https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

18 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Wed 14 Nov 2012, 8:00 pm

TrekMD

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Curt finally posted today. He had not been able to thanks to Sandy and the Northeaster. We should expect an update on the web site he's set up for official updates next week.


________________________________________
Going to the final frontier...gaming!


https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

19 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Wed 14 Nov 2012, 10:02 pm

sloan

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
I hope he and his family are doing fine after the storm.

20 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 12:00 pm

sloan

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
I was reading this thread, and it appears that Bentley Bear will not be finished for 7800 XM after all. So sad, and best wishes to Bob DeCrescenzo.

21 Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:49 pm

TrekMD

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
That's unfortunate for the community but if he feels it is time to move on, I can only wish him the best. Bentley Bear was nearly finished, so hopefully another one of the guys making games will be able to take the code and finish the game. Only the sound was missing as all levels were completed by Bob.


________________________________________
Going to the final frontier...gaming!


https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum